NATIONAL ANTI CORRUPTION CAMPAIGN
IDEOLOGY AND WHERE DOES THE MOVEMENT GO?
“Even while drafting the stringent anticorruption law, is it not needed to provide a period of reconciliation of up to one year that all surrender their ill-gotten wealth without any criminal action for the past and equally a threat of greater punishment than prescribed in the law for the future, if such surrender do not take place. “
We need to develop a new Democratic culture. The smallest entity – the Sarpanch of a Panchayath and the biggest- the Prime Minister is corrupt. The corruption in India has come to such a pass that ordinary people no more view it as ethically or morally wrong. Infact most people have to come to accept giving or offering bribes to get even simple things as most normal and part of life just to keep going and to make things easy. And the corrupt have come to a stage to demand for bribes as a matter of right. The corrupt deem that they get their salaries and perks for coming to the office and for all the works done by them in their office, the public should pay them. And there is no escape or deviation from the self imposed or unwritten rule here. Now is time that you and we the Indian Citizens mutually capitalize on the great success we achieved now. The legislation is needed but it is not enough.
It is not killing and hanging the Political class as if all of us others are saints. It is not our goal. Even to imprison them all is not our goal. If all the corrupt are to be killed or hanged or imprisoned, more than 50% of the Indians will get killed or at least imprisoned.
Shall we eventually but as early drop the word anti? At the same tone, it will be next to impossible to have an anti corruption campaign massively in the Panchayaths and wards, leave alone killing and hanging. India will land up in the hands of dictators or even the army or at least anarchy. We need to look positively, our perception one of Ahimsa way to resolve all issues and the campaign be seen as rebuilding the Indian Society as a corrupt free society with a sense of forget and forgiving the past except that such ill-gotten wealth of the past is surrendered.
Most of the corrupt are not corrupt by nature or by choice. They are caught in a web or in a queue they cannot fall out.
- IDEOLOGY OF THE CAMPAIGN
The modern science has by far resolved the issue of poverty. It is no more a question of capitalism or communism. In the new millennium, it is no more class enemy, because this enemy is now no more human being/s. Humanity as a class has a class enemy in the inanimate development paradigm and environment destruction with the mask of international corporate rulers.
India is no more an illiterate undeveloped backward country or even a developing country. We are on the verge of becoming a developed country with millions of neo rich in the nook and corner of the country, including Adivasi hamlets. There are few literates in every Panchayath and many going to schools.
- SEVA: Instead of eliminating the “class enemy” , we get inspired from the concept of Bhoodan and campaign the ideology that every one shall do SEVA- enjoy the joy of giving and sharing. We also raise resources by these contributions.
- SARVODAYA: Jan Paripalan, Gram Swaraj. Every hamlet/ward/veedhi composing the Panchayath/ town/municipality and city decides their development paradigm in the true spirit of our tradition, ideals of our National founding leaders and even the constitution. The present development model requires triggering corruption in both the Governance and overall society. We need the local self governance bodies govern their citizens without corruption with a mechanism of ombudsman. This will fairly respond to the violence between the Maoists and the Government in not only Dandakaranya but elsewhere also.
The campaign should inclusive, with one core point of agenda being to build a society without corruption in not only governance but in every walk of life. The means to achieve this goal shall be Participatory Democratic Mechanism.
Let us not in “this campaign” get bogged down into other realms of ideology like Secularism and Modi bashing because we need every one to join us. Let us otherwise have plural ideology coexisting. We have a sensitive Constitution, tradition and very strong Democratic system to take care of these differences. What is needed as public initiative is to build a participatory Democratic culture in our society and Citizens are not so busy that they cannot join in the process.
- WHAT NEXT? ENDURING AN ONGOING CAMPAIGN FOR MINIMUM FIVE YEARS FROM THE GRASS ROOT.
Let us not wait for the stringent anti corruption law to come. It will in any case come. We will pressurize but do not precipitate with Politicians and the Government. We have a longer mission that we can afford to waste our time in knitty grittiness of the law.
But, beat the iron when it is hot. Do not let the tempo die down.
Historically, Anna Hazare is both entrusted and trusted to lead the movement as new millennium Mahatma Gandhi. There are many others like him in different walks of life that would be willing not to get diverted into other ideological differences but to have the above universally binding ideology and be in the campaign. There are such patriotic Citizens among politicians also. Let perfection be not our aim in choosing such persons. Let there be space for every one to have ongoing positive interaction and introspection.
Annaji needs to go round the country and contact, build the second and third line by a rigorous exercise. Besides, we need thousands of full time/ part-time volunteers willing to reach out to the remote Panchayaths and other units of local self governance. In the process meet the Social workers and trigger Volunteerism in the Voluntary Organisation- so-called NGOs. Be inclusive. It is here that the urban based more aware citizens should again go to the rural and Adivasi areas to organise a positive campaign.
- We need to throw both the challenge and test the sincerity of the millions who responded to the recent call by Annaji. Only he can do it, now. The recent massive upsurge should be kept in tempo in concrete action.
- Be inclusive, by active persuasion and passive control Build bridges with various National level movements like NAPM, Sarva Seva Sangh, Sarvodaya, Bharath Jan Andholan, Azhadi Bhachao Andholan and as many. Let not making claims and mileage in media coverage come in the way of working together, by hard perseverance and desire to be together in working towards this national campaign of building corruption free society.
- We should not allow the Government to interfere in our freedom- freedom of the Civil Society and Voluntary Organisations. We are showing one finger focusing upon the government and politicians. Three fingers show at us Let us confess that as a part of larger Indian or global society, we have also become corrupt.. Let us start an active dialogue, process of self and collective introspection. We initiate and build collective plural mechanisms to build a corruption free civil society and Voluntary/NGO sector as the foundation for this ongoing campaign.
Over the years since Independence we have begun as an actively moral society, passed through phases of passive morality and passive immorality and today we are an active immoral society, I and you are corrupt unless we prove otherwise, without ambiguity. The happening of the recent months epitomized by the fast of Annaji has hopefully brought us back to possibilities of a base of passively moral society. We must build up on the recent gain of the Anti Corruption movement led by Annaji to rebuild an actively moral society. Let us not cynically just act against Rajas who are millions in number from the grass root in India and all over the globe.
People’s Peace and Prosperity Mission, and
Convenor, Dandakaranya SAHYOG Ahimsa Yatra,
(Under the auspicious of Sarva Seva Sangh and SARVODAYA)
Chatti Post, Chinthur Mandalam,
Khammam District, Andhra Pradesh.
Reference: .B.Chandrasekaran Balasubramaniam <email@example.com>firstname.lastname@example.org, April 18,2011